Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Self-Critique

On the first day I thought this class wsa going to be fun. I've had Jill for other classes and I knew that she would be able to help me work on being an anchor/reporter, mostly because she's been one and so she know what she's talking about. The first day packet that I got was kind of intimidating, but what do you expect for J-term, you have to fit a semester worth of stuff into two weeks. I felt comfortable my first time on air, because i've done it before, but by the time it was my tern to be on-air, we had talked about my voice and pacing, so I was a little nervous, because I was trying really hard to concentrate on those things, while still reading the teleprompter and showing emotion. Shooting a stand-up was something new to me. I've done tons of packages before, but I pretty much did interviews and then just an intro and outro on camera. So that was something that I really needed to learn. It still takes me a little bit to think of a good stand-up, since at that point of the process, you haven't written the script yet.

Something that I believe to have improved on during this class is pacing myself while reading the teleprompter. Before I didn't mean to, but did, read really fast through everything... causing me to slur or mess words up. I will continue to work on everything that I learned from this course. However, on major thing is the sound of my voice while speaking on camera, for example NOT speaking from my throat. My weakness as a reporter is the whole package script and thining of everything fast, to get the story done in a short amount of time. I think that's something that I'll get better at as time goes by and the more I do it. One major strength that I have is my persistency. I'm very persistent and any station who I work for will find that out...so no matter what, you know I'm going to get the information I want and need for my story.

My ultimate career goal is to be an anchor of a morning show, like "Regis and Kelly". However, to get there I'll have to put in my time working as a reporter and anchor. For those reasons alone, this class helped me to grow and open my mind on some of the things I was doing wrong before, and how to improve them. Talking to Jill and Virginia Kerr were two of the main parts of this class that helped to streamline my goal as a morning show host. They put me at ease and let me know that I can do anything I put my mind to, if I want it bad enough. I really enjoyed this class. In fact, the only negative thing I have to say is that I don't like the fact that I can't take it again!!

No comments: