Friday, January 18, 2008

KPLR

The first thing I noticed while watching KPLR was how the CW11 set didn’t look as professional as the other stations in Saint Louis. The anchors were Melanie Moon and Rick Edlund. Melanie was wearing blue eye shadow (it may have been the smoky-eye look, but it looked blue to me), bright red lipstick, a red blazer, and a white undershirt. Rick was wearing a black suit, white undershirt, and red striped tie.

The reporters that I saw within the first ten minutes were Tony Miller, Grant Rampy, and Theresa Petry. I did see the three packages, but I don’t believe that any of them were live, because it’s dark outside at nine o’clock and in their packages, they weren’t dark out. Tony Miller was the first one that I saw and his stand-up was in front of a building, I don’t know what building it was, but there were a ton of windows and I’m assuming it might be the court house.

One story that I remember was reported by Tony Miller and was about a man named Clifford Rowling. Police arrested Clifford because he entered an elementary school and abducted a little girl. He is currently in jail and his bond is set at 1/2 a million dollars. Another story that I remember, because it was so sad, was about two puppies. A pit bull and a golden retriever were tossed over a Saint Louis overpass and fell about 30 feet in traffic. The pit bull is under care with broken legs, while the golden retriever ran from the scene. One last story that I remember was reported by Theresa Petry about Saint Louis police officers wanting a pay increase. It used to be that officers must live in the city to be policemen, but was changed that if they’ve been officers for 7years they can move out of the city. One man said that they do have good pensions. However, they make about 4 thousand less than county officers and 8 thousand less than Chesterfield officers. Saint Louis is requesting a 5 percent increase of pay, and without it people are afraid they might walk away. One proposal intended to pay for this is to have a two percent raised sale tax.

The newscast was good, but it was something that I would think to see in a much higher market, not a market 21. The scenery of the studio just looked kind of amateur. The news team does seem credible, because they are in a market 21, but also because they were dressed appropriately and presented themselves nicely (voice and pacing of story). I will definitely watch this station again…just not for the news, because I don’t watch television at 9pm, I either watch it at 10pm or in the morning.

1 comment:

haley said...

it was very nice to meet you! i am sad to see this class come to an end! stay in touch!